Posterous was a great platform for publishing (and auto-cross-posting). The main inconvenient is that it's not free software and there is no way to host it yourself (though you can use a custom domain). So the goal here is to see how Wordpress could be tweaked to work as (much as) Posterous.
Since Posterous has passed away, this page in turn keeps track of the auto-cross-posting plugin that I use on my own Wordpress instance.
Following the closure of Posterous and the changes in my personal media landscape, here are a list of features I want in WordPress
- Auto-post to Mastodon
- Auto-post to Diaspora
- Plays well with large social networks such as Facebook and Twitter
- Allows visitor to subscribe to email updates
- Supports Webmention
Active WordPress plugins
- https://wordpress.org/plugins/activitypub/ exposes a WordPress blog to the Fediverse and Mastodon network using the ActivityPub protocol. No need to auto-post. Simple.
- https://wordpress.org/plugins/wp-to-diaspora/ Auto-post your WordPress publications directly to your Diaspora account. You can choose to send a summary or to copy the full post.
Subscribe by email
- https://wordpress.org/plugins/subscribe2/ Simple plugin that lets visitors subscribe by mail. Has a good number of features while being quite resistant to spam. Sends an email for every post you write.
- https://wordpress.org/plugins/webmention/ Does just that. Makes WordPress support Webmentions.
- https://wordpress.org/plugins/wonderm00ns-simple-facebook-open-graph-tags/ injects the right meta tags in your posts so that your publications behave correctly with social media sites like Facebook and Twitter. Probably others too as these tend to become “standards”.
Old WordPress plugins
- http://michelf.com/projects/php-markdown/ Requires to deactivate the wordpress default editor. It might not be so usefull anymore since Postie has also some special “function tags”
- http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/google-analytics-for-wordpress/ ← A lot more features than what posterous proposes
Post by mail
- http://codex.wordpress.org/Post_to_your_blog_using_email ← default wordpress feature.
- http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/postie/ ← has more features and works similarly to what Posterous does. It's also possible to comment your own posts by mail.
- http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/twitter-tools/ ← I choose this one so I coud make it work with identica. Easy install anyway. Just a bit tricky on the twitter side because an app registration is needed.
- http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/twitter-tools-statusnet/ needs Twitter tools to work.
- http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/identica-tools/ Old plugin… not much info
- http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/twitter-friendly-links/ ← Get a nice short url for each posts. Works with Twitter-tools (but needu to be activated in the settings)
Just some stuff not directly related to a posterous conversion.
- http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/configurable-tag-cloud-widget/ ← an nice little tool to create a Tags display widget with a lot of options. (but needed to hack the code so it would display correctly in wp3.1)