TP-Link TL-WR842ND v2.1
How to reset (recover) the factory firmware on a TP-Link TL-WR842ND v2.1.
- Get the firmware and “shorten it”
- Set a TFTP server on your machine
- Put the device on failsafe mode and connect to computer static IP:
All info is taken from this page on OpenWRT and corrected to work with my particular device and setup.
- Download latest firmware from here: https://www.tp-link.com/us/support/download/tl-wr842nd/#Firmware
- Since it's a “boot” version, you need to “shorten” it (and rename it)
dd if=wr842ndv2_en_3_16_9_up_boot(150514).bin of=wr842nv2_tp_recovery.bin skip=257 bs=512
2. TFTP server
pacman -Syu tftp-hpa
Then move the
wr842nv2_tp_recovery.bin you just created and put it in
Start the TFTP server:
systemctl start tftpd.socket systemctl start tftpd.service
- Correct a good RJ45 cable from LAN on the device to Ethernet plug on computer configured as static IP:
- Put device in failsafe mode:
- Unplug power chord
- Press and hold reset button
- Power up the device and keep reset button pressed
- Wait till the lock LED is on
- Release reset button
If all goes well, the device should pick up quickly the new firmware and reboot.
— Julien Deswaef 2021/04/17 20:46